This camera module can be a pretty neat project addition. It was designed to be used in security systems and does two main things – it outputs NTSC monochrome video and can take snapshots of that video (in color) and transmit them over the serial link. You can snap pictures at 640×480, 320×240 or 160×120 and they’re pre-compressed JPEG images which makes them nice and small and easy to store on an SD card. Perfect for a data-logging, security, or photography project.
One nice thing about this particular camera is all the ‘extras’ that come with it. For example it has manually adjustable focus, auto-white-balance, auto-brightness and auto-contrast taken care of for you as well as motion detection built in! That means you can have it alert your project when something moved in the frame.
Using the module is pretty easy and only requires two digital pins (or a serial port) – by default it transmits at 38400 baud.
- VCC – +5V Regulated Supply
- GND – Common Ground for RS232 and Power, DB9 Pin#5
- TX – RS232 level Transmit Output, Connects to DB9 Pin#2
- RX – RS232 level Receive Input, Connects to DB9 Pin#3
- Video – Analog Video output for monitor. Optional.
- Module size: 32mm x 32mm
- Image sensor: CMOS 1/4 inch
- CMOS Pixels: 30M
- Pixel size: 5.6um*5.6um
- Output format: Standard JPEG
- White balance: Automatic
- Exposure: Automatic
- Gain: Automatic
- Shutter: Electronic rolling shutter
- SNR: 45DB
- Dynamic Range: 60DB
- Max analog gain: 16DB
- Frame speed: 640*480 30fps
- Scan mode: Progressive scan
- Viewing angle: 60 degrees
- Monitoring distance: 10 meters, maximum 15meters (adjustable)
- Image size: VGA（640*480), QVGA（320*240), QQVGA（160*120）
- Baud rate: Default 38400
- Current draw: 75mA
- Operating voltage: DC +5V
- Communication: RS232 (Three wire TX, RX, GND) on 2.0mm pitch connector